Wednesday 1 August 2012

TETANUS---Signs,symptoms & Treatement


Tetanus is infection of the nervous system with the potentially deadly bacteria Clostridium tetani (C. tetani).

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Spores of the bacteria C. tetani live in the soil and are found around the world. In the spore form, C. tetani may remain inactive in the soil, but it can remain infectious for more than 40 years.
Infection begins when the spores enter the body through an injury or wound. The spores release bacteria that spread and make a poison called tetanospasmin. This poison blocks nerve signals from the spinal cord to the muscles, causing severe muscle spasms. The spasms can be so powerful that they tear the muscles or cause fracture of the spine.
The time between infection and the first sign of symptoms is typically 7 to 21 days. Most cases of tetanus in the United States occur in those who have not been properly vaccinated against the disease.

Symptoms

Tetanus often begins with mild spasms in the jaw muscles (lockjaw). The spasms can also affect the chest, neck, back, and abdominal muscles. Back muscle spasms often cause arching, called ophisthotonus.
Sometimes the spasms affect muscles that help with breathing, which can lead to breathing problems.
Prolonged muscular action causes sudden, powerful, and painful contractions of muscle groups. This is called tetany. These episodes can cause fractures and muscle tears.
Other symptoms include:
  • Drooling
  • Excessive sweating
  • Fever
  • Hand & foot spasms
  • Irritability
  • Swallowing difficulty
  • Uncontrolled urination or defecation

Signs and tests

Your doctor will perform a physical exam and ask questions about your medical history. No specific lab test is available to determine the diagnosis of tetanus.
Other tests may be used to rule out meningitis,rabies strychnine poisoning, and other diseases with similar symptoms.

Treatment

Treatment may include:
  • Antibiotics, including penicillin, clindamycin erythromycin, or metronidazole (metronidazole has been most successful)
  • Bedrest with a nonstimulating environment (dim light, reduced noise, and stable temperature)
  • Medicine to reverse the poison (tetanus immune globulin)
  • Muscle relaxers such as Diazepam
  • Sedatives
  • Surgery to clean the wound and remove the source of the poison (debridement)
Breathing support with oxygen, a breathing tube, and a breathing machine may be necessary.

5 comments:

  1. A great thanks to Doctor Ekpiku the man that work for you as a father I was having genital herpes for 6 year I never found cure I was embarrassed every time I always have pain every time am very happy for Doctor Ekpiku who God bring as helper to me, when I found his email on internet i was shock if it was true serious the man is real he will ask you to choose for your choice of your propose of the cured he inform me about the herbs cure and the spell casting and the spell casting take 45 mins to work which I applied for, once you provide what he need for the spell casting he get the necessary thing available for the cure and he go on with the cure, he inform me that the cure is done at night when will was in the night he go on with the spell casting at time I sleep off because he ask me to sleep on my bed, when I wake-up I found changing in my body I was cured I run to hospital for test I found out am negative thanks to Doctor Ekpiku you can reach him on his email now ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@gmail.com Or ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@hotmail.com.
    Thank You Dr Ekpiku and text me for further information +1 (650) 319-6239

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnose with human papilloma virus (HPV) 4 years ago and i met a doctor he told me there is no cure and i have be taking some medication the warts multiplied when trying to removed them and it got me embarrass and pains, luckily few weeks ago i was recommend to Dr Onokun for natural treatment after one week i got 100% cure and all the wart and pains got disappeared, i sheared this post because its part of my life experience, encase anyone need speedy help about this cure email Dr Onokun via, dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to this great herbal doctor who cured me of LUPUS DISEASE his name is Dr. Iyabiye. I suffered LUPUS for over 12 years with pains like: Achy joints, Skin rash, Pain in the chest, swollen joints and many more. The anti-inflammatory drugs couldn’t help, until I read about his recommendation 4 months ago, I contacted him and he administered his medication on me and I was confirmed cured and free at the hospital after taken his medication. You too can be cured if interested. Contacts: iyabiyehealinghome@gmail.com
    (+2348072229413 / +2348158577300)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work!. Sexologist in Lucknow

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete